New Sun Rising is excited to announce the creation of a new, full time position: the Director of Opportunity. The primary responsibility of this position is to scale established socially-focused businesses and nonprofit projects through our Grow program, as well as increasing the impact of New Sun Rising’s Vibrant Communities framework. This includes hands-on business/project support and mentorship, the development of new programs, educational resources, strategies, and opportunities, and direct customer/ client engagement that would lead to increased resources and impact for our members and internal initiatives.
New Sun Rising, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, empowers innovative people and organizations that create economic opportunity, solve social challenges, and strengthen the vibrancy of place. We implement programs which train, resource, connect, and activate neighborhood-scale change, focusing on underserved communities and how equitable growth strategies can be utilized for economic and social development.
Programs in the Vibrant Communities framework support hyperlocal clusters of businesses, nonprofit projects, and community leaders in three stages of development: Ignite, Launch, and Grow. The Director of Opportunity will develop and support organizations and initiatives in the Grow program.
The Vibrant Communities framework is built upon the foundations of Equity, Entrepreneurship, and Place. We develop Culture, Sustainability, and Opportunity, through Planning, Resources, and Connectivity, to create an authentic community Identity.
Primary Duties + Responsibilities
- Developing Grow program services and supports
- Mentoring growth stage businesses, nonprofit projects, and organizations
- Planning and delivering workshops and entrepreneurial education seminars
- Connecting businesses, nonprofit projects, and organizations with professional services
- Monitoring, evaluating, and reporting on Grow programs and outcomes
- Connecting businesses, nonprofit projects, and organizations with diverse earned income opportunities
- Forming collaborative partnerships and initiatives
- Supporting the administration of Vibrancy Funds’ loans, grants, and awards
- Fundraising for NSR programming, including possible grant research and writing
The Director of Opportunity will be thoroughly committed to New Sun Rising’s mission, objectives, and culture. All candidates should have proven experience in supporting and/or leading related development programs. Ideal candidates will demonstrate the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree or a combination of related work experience
- Experience developing and implementing strategies and operational models for growth stage businesses and organizations (5 years)
- Understanding the development of diverse income streams, including sales, grants, crowdfunding, investments, and loans
- Experience in one-on-one mentoring and coaching
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
- Ability to engage, collaborate, and work effectively with diverse groups of people
- Personal Characteristics: Adaptive, entrepreneurial, positive, open minded, self-directed, community-minded, passionate, integrity
Interested candidates should provide the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Narrative expressing your interest in the position, how your skills and experience are a good fit to be the Director of Opportunity at New Sun Rising, and any salary or benefit requirements (5 pages max)
- Three references