Above: Kids participate in making crafts during Nature Night at Etna’s EcoPark. Photo courtesy of Etna Community Organization.
With school out for the summer, libraries and community organizations are making sure kids aren’t bored to pieces in the Triboro Ecodistrict.
As a one stop resource for youth and teen activities, we’ve compiled a list of programs and events throughout Millvale, Etna, and Sharpsburg running in July and August.
The Sharpsburg Community Library (SCL) has a calendar of events with details on their programs and if they are full, if kids can sign up for a waitlist, or if there are still openings. Click here to view the full calendar.
For a calendar of events hosted by the Millvale Community Library (MCL) and Etna Community Organization (ECO), click here.
We also have some information below on programs throughout the three boroughs. Keep scrolling to learn more.
Remember to keep an eye out for Rivertown Kidz! They’ll be bringing movie nights to each borough. The first is on June 30 in the backyard of the Millvale Community Library. On July 21, they’ll be at the Borough Community Pool and Playground in Etna, and August 18 at Kennedy Park in Sharpsburg. Each movie starts at 7 p.m. Free transportation, snacks, and drinks will be provided.
Did we miss something? Let us know and we’ll add it to the list. Email email@example.com.
Happening at the Millvale Community Library, 213 Grant Avenue:
- Every Wednesday at 9:30 a.m. Grown up and Me Music Program is a partnership with You Be You Inc. providing music, stories, games and more for babies through preschool aged children.
- Every Wednesday at 12 p.m. All Bodies Welcome Yoga – Free Yoga on the Back Deck of MCL.
- Every Thursday at 4 p.m. Kids of Steel is a youth group that focuses on athletic/exercise activities and meets in the BackYard of MCL.
- On July 7 and August 4 from 4-6 p.m. Library Lego Hang where kids can come play with Legos at the Library! Unstructured, all ages table top play time.
Happening at the Etna Borough Pool and Playground, 2 Pine Street:
- Etna Community Organization (ECO) has partnered with North Hills Cares to distribute free lunches to kids 18 and under at the Etna Pool and Playground each weekday from 12-1:30 p.m. They could use volunteers to help distribute the meals! Signup here.
- Rivertown Kidz Movie Night: July 21 @ 7 p.m.
At EcoPark, 37 Grant Avenue:
- Nature Nights at EcoPark each month through October. This is a fun environmental education program for kids where ECO provides free crafts, pizza and popsicles. Nature Nights will take place on June 27, July 25, August 22, September 26, and October 24 from 6-7PM.
Happening at Sharpsburg Community Library, 1212 Main Street:
Most summer camps at the library are full, but there are some programs that still have space available:
- Chess Club for ages 6-11: first Saturday of the month @ 1-3 p.m.
- Lavender Club for LGBTQ+ tweens/teens age 10-18: first Wednesday of the Month @ 6:30 p.m.
- Wiggle Time for ages 2 and under: Tuesdays and Thursdays @ 10:30-11 a.m.
- “Los Zorritos” Spanish Mini-Camp for ages 5-10: July 10-14, daily 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- STEAM Storytime for ages 2-5: Wednesdays and Fridays @ 10:30-11:30 a.m.
- PreK Read & Play + Caregiver for ages 3-5: Fridays @ 1:30-2 p.m.
- Chinese Play & Learn for ages 3-7: July 22, 2-2:45 p.m.
- Make-n-Take for ages 5-12: Tuesdays, 4:30-5:30 p.m.
- Teen Time for grades 7-12: Tuesdays @ 4:30pm
- Tweentastic for grades 4-6: Thursdays @ 4:30pm
- Colorful Mini Camp for PreK + caregiver: 7/5 & 7/6, 12pm-1pm
- Marvelous Mosaic Camp for age 6-12: 7/17-7/20, 12pm-2pm, snack provided
- Community Art Camp for age 9-12: 7/24-7/27, daily 12pm-2pm, snack provided
Community events w/ library activity table:
- Summer Finale Party: Tuesday 8/8, 5pm-7pm @ Allegheny RiverTrail Park, Aspinwall
- Aspinwall’s Big Night Out: Thursday 8/10, 5pm-8pm @ Aspinwall Recreation Field
- All ages
- Earn raffle ticket for each day you read
- Read anything! Books, comics, magazines, audiobooks, fan fiction, etc.
- Log your days with the Beanstack app – choose Cooper-Siegel Community Library
- Program dates: 6/3 – 8/5
- Prizes include gift baskets from Spark Books (early childhood, school age, & teens), Pokemon basket, art basket, gift cards from Big Burrito Group, Beans & Cream, & more!
- K-12 students will earn FREE Millie’s Ice Cream coupon
- Kids may also earn a bead for their summer keychain/bracelet each week they check in